I love paneer. There is nothing tastier than these little clouds of chewy cotton when it is made well. In New Delhi, you can buy the most amazing fresh paneer in the markets. Here is the US you can buy paneer in any Indian store.
Mattar Paneer ( Indian Cheese with Peas)
1 ½ tbs. garlic and ginger pureed together
2 medium onions ground
4 small plum tomatoes, pureed
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. ground coriander powder (dhaniya)
1 tsp. turmeric powder (haldi)
Chili powder to taste
1 cup peas
• Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a pot.
• Add the cumin seeds and bay leaves and cook for about 30 seconds till the cumin seeds pop.
• Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder and chili powder and stir for about a minute.
• DO NOT LET THE MASALA BURN.
• Add onions and fry well for about 10 minutes.
• Add the ground garlic and ginger.
• Cook for 5 minutes more.
• Add the tomato puree
• Cook very well till the mixture thickens about 15 minutes.
• Add the paneer and peas
• Add ½ cup of water if the mixture is too thick.
• Let it boil for about 10 minutes.
• Add a ¼ cup of milk and salt and cook uncovered till the mixture thickens.