I think I’ve said it many times before that my mom has the best friends who spoil me with their amazing food every time I visit home.
Her friend Sherien Ryan makes the best appams and stew ever! The Appams require quite bit of skill and will take for me to master but her stew is a really simple and super recipe.
This is the recipe for the vegetable stew but you can add meat to it too. This stew can be eaten with appams, dosas or rice.
Sherien Ryan’s Vegetable Stew
½ cup green beans, sliced into 1” fingers
1 carrot, sliced into 1” fingers
½ turnip, sliced into 1” fingers
2 small onions, sliced
3 small potatoes
2 “ ginger peeled and cut into strips
1 green chili
1 ½ cups coconut milk, fresh or canned
1- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
2- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp. sugar
Salt to taste
• Heat 2 cups of water in a small pot.
• When the water is boiling add in the chopped green beans, carrot and turnip.
• Boil for a minute and remove from heat and set aside.
• In a pressure cooker or larger pot, add the onions, potatoes, ginger and green chili.
• Add water to just about cover the vegetables.
• Add 1 tsp. of sugar to the vegetables.
• Cook or pressure cook till vegetables are done.
• Remove from fire and mash the vegetables down to a semi solid state with the back of a large spoon.
• Add the boiled green beans, carrot and turnip to this mixture.
• Add salt to taste.
• Add coconut milk, few curry leaves and coconut oil.
• Mix it all together well.
• Place the pot back on a medium flame and simmer for 5 minutes.
• Remove from fire and serve hot with aapams, dosas or white rice.