Aloo puri is a classic, comfort food in Indian homes. There are a zillion different ways of making it – each home has its own version of this dish.
Potato Curry (Aloo Curry)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
2 bay leaves
½ tsp asafetida (hing)
1 small cinnamon stick (dalchini)
2 black cardamom pods (kali elaichi)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbs ghee
1 ½ tsp dry mango powder (amchur)
½ coriander powder
6 small plum tomatoes, pureed
1 bunch chopped cilantro
• Gently smash the boiled potatoes and set aside.
• Heat 3 tbs oil in a large pot and add the asafetida.
• Add the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and cardamom pods.
• Stir for a minute and add the pureed tomatoes.
• Add salt, turmeric, dry mango powder, coriander powder, ghee and stir well.
• Cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes until the spices are well combined with the gravy and the oil separates from the masala.
• Add the smashed potatoes.
• Add 6-7 cups of water and mix well.
• Boil the mixture uncovered for 20 minutes.
• Garnish with cilantro.