I just love a good carrot cake.
This recipe from the Buttercup Bakeshop makes a super moist and really delicious cake.
This cake is very delicate and once baked can crumble quite easily so be careful when you are frosting it.
You can choose to make two or three layers. I made just two coz the cream cheese frosting is a killer.
I always add more carrots than recommended in the recipe. I figure that way I can convince myself that I’m eating something healthy as I help myself to seconds and thirds!
Buttercup Bake Shop Carrot Cake
For the cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup apple juice (any brand)
1 1/2 cups peeled, grated carrots (about 3 to 4 medium carrots)
1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
1 cup finely chopped pecans
3 tablespoon heavy cream
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
• Grease and lightly flour three 9 x 2-inch round cake pans, or two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans.
• Line the bottoms with waxed paper.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and ginger.
• Set aside.
• In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
• Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
• Beat in the vanilla.
• Add the dry ingredients in thirds to the butter mixture, alternating with the apple juice.
• Beat for 45 seconds after each addition, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
• Stir in the carrots, apple, pecans, and cream until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
• Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
• Let cake cool in pans for 10 minutes.
• Remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack. Frost when layers are completely cooled.
Yield: makes 1 three-layer 9-inch cake or two loaves
Note: These layers are very delicate, so use care when removing from pans.
Buttercup Bake Shop Cream Cheese Icing
Yield: this yields icing for 1 two- or three-layer 9-inch cake.
1 pound (2 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened slightly, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened slightly, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
• In a medium bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.
• Add the vanilla extract.
• Gradually add the sugar and beat until well incorporated.