This is a really good recipe for a light orange cake. I like it with lots of warmed syrup and a light dusting of confectioners sugar.
8 tablespoons (1 stick) sweet butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, separated
Grated zest of 2 oranges
1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup fresh orange juice
Orange Glaze ( recipe follows)
- Preheat oven 350 F
- Grease a 10 –inch bundt pan.
- Cream the butter and gradually add the sugar, beating until light.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and orange zest.
- Sift the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients alternatively with orange juice to the batter.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 30- 35 minutes, or until sides of cake shrink away from edges of pan and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan, unmold onto a rack and drizzle with Orange Glaze while warm.
- Cool before serving.
¼ cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup granulated sugar
- Combine orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes stirring occasionally until a light syrup forms.