This is one of my kids current favorite weekend breakfast requests. It is really easy to make and looks really fun and fancy!
I serve it with home fries and any steamed vegetables to add a bit of green to the plate.
This recipe is from the Food Network Kitchens stockpile.
1 slice sourdough, potato, or wheat bread
1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch paprika, optional
- Cut a 2-inch round from the center of the bread, reserving the round.
- Melt a nut size bit of butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place the slice of bread and the round in skillet and toast lightly, about 1 minute.
- Crack the egg into the hole and season with salt and pepper, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining the rest of the butter as needed to brown and crisp the toast.
- Flip the egg and round, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook another 2 minutes for a runny yolk, or slightly longer for a set egg.
- Transfer egg-in-the-hole to a plate and sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Serve, and use the toasted round for dipping into the yolk.