There are a so many different ways to make Palda.
We always make this yogurt-gravy based dish, when serving Pahari food. Palda is one of my brother’s favorite dishes.
In my mother’s kitchen, we have two recipes for Palda – both are made with potato. There is a quick one and a cumbersome one. Both are equally delicious.
Here is the recipe for the quick Palda which uses homemade, thick cut, potato chips. Watch out for those fried potato chips – make sure you make plenty extra because in our home very few of them actually make it into the Palda. They are just too irresistible!
3 potatoes peeled and sliced in rounds to make chips
8 cloves garlic
5 cups of yogurt whipped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Garlic and ginger paste
Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
¾ teaspoon of turmeric
3 teaspoons of coriander powder (dhaniya)
1 teaspoon of garam masala
Homemade Potato Chips:
- Soak the sliced potatoes in salted water and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and deep fry till cooked to a semi crisp state. (should not be crisp like chips)
- Set these aside.
- In large pot or wok, heat 4 Tbs of oil or ghee (clarified butter).
- Add 1 heaped teaspoon of cumin seeds (jeera).
- When the cumin seeds begin to pop, add the ground garlic and ginger paste.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
- Add the chopped onions and cook it for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and ¾ teaspoon of turmeric powder (haldi).
- Add 3 teaspoons of coriander powder (dhaniya) and 1 teaspoon of garam masala.
- Cook this for about 5 minutes.
- Take it off the fire.
- Add the whipped yogurt to the above mixture.
- Add the fried sliced potatoes to the yogurt.
- Mix it well and serve immediately.