4 cups basmati rice, cooked
2-inch stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
1 bay leaf
½ star anise, broken into bits
2 tbsp. garlic and ginger paste
1 medium onion, sliced
1 ripe plum tomato, sliced
2-3 green chilies, sliced
2 cups mushroom, sliced (white mushrooms work just fine)
¼ tsp. turmeric
Cayenne pepper to taste.
- Heat 4 tbs. oil.
- When oil is hot, add the cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and star anise.
- Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 tbs. of garlic and ginger paste.
- Cook well for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and sliced green chilies.
- Stir for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the sliced tomato.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of sliced mushrooms.
- Add ¼ tsp. turmeric and salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Stir well and add 1/8 cup and water and cook for 5 minutes.
- To this cooked mushroom mixture add 4 cups of cooked white rice.
- Mix well, cover and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.