I’m not a huge okra fan. Sometimes this slimy vegetable can be a bit too gooey and mushy for me but there are a few ways that it is cooked in my mother’s kitchen that make this un-likeable vegetable – pretty yummy.
Here is a really quick and yummy recipe that even my kids love.
FRIED OKRA WITH CHICKPEA FLOUR
1 lb fresh okra, washed and slit into halves
1/4 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1/4 tsp. red chili powder ( optional)
Salt to taste
- Combine the chickpea flour, turmeric, chili powder and salt.
- Mix it with the precut okra slices.
- In a wok or kadai, heat 4 cups of oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the okra in small batches.
- Deep fry for 2-3 minutes, till the okra is crispy.
- Serve immediately.