Broccoli is such a versatile, abundant vegetable.
I always love a good cream of broccoli soup but never thought of making it myself till now.
It was so easy to do and loved by all.
In this recipe, I used rice milk instead of milk to make it dairy free so the soup wasn’t as rich as it would have been if I had used milk.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk spring onion
1 stalk celery, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic
3 cups chicken broth
8 cups broccoli florets
Roux for soup
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (Ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in medium sized stockpot.
- Sauté onion and celery until tender.
- Add broccoli and broth and cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree.
- Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot.
- Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot.
- In small saucepan, over medium-heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in flour and add milk.
- Stir until thick and bubbly, and add to soup.
- Season with pepper and serve.