My mothers friends are the best in the world!
Aside from being phenomenal friends – many of them serve really amazing food and really delight in feeding me whenever I visit.
This of course, works really well for me!!
One of my favorite homes to eat in when visiting Chennai is Urmila Krishnamurthi’s house. Her everyday food is beyond outstanding and really healthy too.
This past summer, I spent some time in her kitchen learning a few of my favorite dishes.
This is a recipe using green grams which are super healthy. I call it green gram mash. It can be eaten as a meal by itself or served as a side dish or can even be used as a breakfast item.
GREEN GRAM MASH
2 cups of green gram lentils
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 green chilies, sliced (optional)
2 sprigs curry leaves
3 tbsp. coconut oil ( you can use any oil of your choice)
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
Salt to taste
- Heat a small frying pan
- Roast the green gram lentils for 3-4 minutes in the pan. Do not brown.
- Allow the roasted lentils to soak for 2-3 hours in water.
- Boil these soaked lentils in a pot for 20 minutes, until they are tender but not mushy.
- Strain the water and set the green gram aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp. of coconut oil in a wok.
- Add the garlic and sliced green chilis.
- Stir for a minute and then add the curry leaves.
- Add the cooked green gram and mix well.
- Add 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well and mash down the green gram a little bit to make the mixture mushy.
- Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot.