This recipe is so easy and tastes so good that it is almost ridiculous.
I got this recipe from my friend Michele Filorimo, a few years ago and it hasn’t failed to impress yet.
I just whip up big batches of these as it only takes minutes to make and seem to disappear just as quickly.
The best part is that you can easily freeze these toffee bars and take out as needed.
Please do read the tips listed below before making the recipe.
THE EASIEST TOFFEE BARS EVER
Saltine crackers ( any store bought brand is fine – buy square or rectangular crackers)
1 cup light or dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup salted butter
12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 10″ X 15″ cookie sheet (that has an edge) with aluminum foil – grease or spray foil.
- Completely line the cookie sheet with individual saltine crackers (break crackers to fit on end if necessary).
Combine in a heavy pot:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter/margarine
- Bring to a boil slowly.
- Hold a rolling boil for 2 minutes.
- Spread mixture over crackers, completely covering them.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then remove from oven.
- Turn off the oven.
- Cover pan with 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips.
- Return pan to oven for 1 to 2 minutes to melt.
- Remove from oven and spread chocolate to completely cover top.
- Place on a cold porch or in the refrigerator or freezer to chill.
- Break up in uneven pieces.
- Keep chilled.
JUST A FEW TIPS:
While this recipe is extremely easy, it moves very quickly. Make sure the saltines are already laid out on the cookie sheet before you even start the brown sugar/butter mixture, otherwise the juggling of flying bits of saltine crackers and molten toffee can get REALLY ugly!
Make sure that you cover the entire cookie sheet with 1 continuous piece of aluminum foil. It usually works if you cover it lengthwise with a piece long enough to be folded over the edges. If not, the toffee mixture will get under the foil and be baked onto the pan. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you what nightmare that is to clean!