My mother-in-law Atsuko makes the yummiest, easiest Potato Leek soup ever. All her grand kids love it. Its called “Cold Potato Soup” – though my kids like it warmed. Either way, this is a really hearty, healthy soup that is so so easy to make. It even freezes beautifully!
3 cups leeks, chopped (only the white part)
3 cups potato, cubed and peeled
2 cups chicken/ vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
2-3 T minced green onion
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the leeks, scallions and potatoes well, chop into cubes and place in a large pot.
- Add broth to the vegetables, cover and simmer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook till vegetables are tender, you should be able to pierce them easily with a fork (about 20 – 25 minutes).
- Let this mixture cool for sometime.
- Using a hand blended or food processor, puree the mixture well.
- Then sieve the mixture into a large bowl, you can use a regular sieve or a food mill.
- Add the milk and cream to the sieved mixture and mix well.
- Adjust seasonings and serve hot or cold.