If you ever shop at a Korean Grocery store, you will find they sell fresh meats, such as pork or beef that have been sliced really thinly. Here is a recipe I use with the pork (you can use beef too) that makes for a great quick, weeknight meal.
1 package of thinly sliced pork/beef
¼ cup soya sauce
¼ cup sake
¼ cup mirin (sweet sake)
1 tbs. grated ginger
1 tbs. crushed garlic
1 tbs. sugar
1 star anise, coarsely crushed with fingers (optional)
- Combine all of the above ingredients and let the pork marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbs. of oil in a large skillet on high heat.
- Add a few slices of pork to the skillet and cook for about a minute.
- Flip the pork slices to cook the other side for additional minute or so until the pork is done.
- Serve immediately with hot white rice.