I love banana breads. It’s so great to be able to whip up a delicious bread, with those overripe, blackened bananas that have been hanging on the kitchen counter for way too long. Bananas can easily be mashed and frozen. Just add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to mashed 1 1/2 cups of mashed banana and freeze till you need it.
I have so many recipes for banana bread to share but this is one I made very recently which bordered more on being a banana bread dessert.
I used the basic banana bread recipe from The Betty Crocker Cookbook but then added in white chocolate chips, a sugar glaze and chocolate curls to make this into a really sweet treat! This dessert freezes really well.
Ingredients for Banana Bread:
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter softened
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
1/2 cup buttermilk ( you can easily make your own buttermilk)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nut (optional – I didn’t use them)
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cups of chocolate curls or shavings
Handful of chocolate chips to top the cake off with.
- Place oven rack in lowest position and heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottoms of two loaf pans or one Bundt pan.
- Mix the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in eggs till well blended.
- Add mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the nuts and chocolate chips and mix until just moistened.
- Mix in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans.
- Cool completely and drizzle with the sugar glaze and chocolate chips.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Yield: About 1/2 cup.
1 tbsp. butter
1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp. milk
1/8 tsp. salt