There is no chocolate cake better than my mothers! I would love to share that recipe with you but after having watched her make it countless times, I conclude that she has no recipe, she follows no science and that cake cannot be repeated by any other human hands!!
So moving on……. I’m sharing with you a chocolate cake that is a close second to hers. This one luckily has a recipe and has an unlikely ingredient in it. Adding Beetroot to the cake makes it really moist and healthy too.
2 cups fresh cooked beetroot mashed
2 ½ cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
½ cup cocoa
2 cups white sugar
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Cover beetroots in water and boil till very soft.
- Peel skin and puree till smoothe. You should have 2 cups.
- Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence to the beetroot puree and mix very well.
- Set aside in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl beat together thoroughly the oil and sugar.
- Add in the eggs one by one and keep mixing well.
- Then incorporate the beetroot mixture and the flour mixture alternatively into the egg mixture as you keep beating it.
- Stir it well until they are all well combined.
- Grease and flour two round cake pans or a bundt cake pan and pour the above mixture in.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350’F or 180’C for about 35 – 40 minutes.
- If a wooden toothpick comes out clean, then the cake is done.
- When the cake is cooled, sprinkle some confectioners sugar on top and serve.