I belong to a wonderful local CSA where I get all kinds of organic vegetables all through the fall and winter months. Since I get only seasonal vegetables through the CSA, I often have to be inventive with how I can make my kids eat those veggies over and over again. I was really thrilled with this recipe that I threw together last week. The recipe is based on a superb recipe for a tuna fish pie that my mother makes ( which Ill blog very soon).
This dish can be made with just veggies or you can add tuna fish to if you would like. I made it with Tuna and my kids loved it.
Serves 6 people
3 medium-sized carrots peeled and shredded
2 cups of finely chopped kale
1 packet of wide egg noodles or curly pasta cooked according to directions.
5-6 red or white potatoes boiled
1/4 cup milk
2 cans of tuna fish
1 stalk of celery chopped fine
1 small onion chopped fine
5 tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 cups of grated cheese ( I used a four cheese mix – you can use any cheese that melts well)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Pasta/ Wide Egg Noodles
- Cook the pasta/ noodles according to directions and drain.
- Mix with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a wok or frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the chopped kale to the pan and cook it covered for about 5 minutes. (kale takes a long time to soften – keep an eye on the pan to make sure the kale doesn’t begin to burn)
- Add the shredded carrots to the pan and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes till the carrots are softened.
- Add salt and pepper and set aside
- Mash the boiled potatoes with the 1/4 cups of milk till a smooth consistency is reached.
- Add salt to taste.
- Set aside.
Tuna Fish: ( vegetarians can skip this step)
- Place the tuna fish in a bowl.
- Add the finely chopped onions and celery to the tuna.
- Add the cooked carrots and kale mixture to the tuna.
- Add the mayonnaise to this and mix it all very well.
- Set aside.
Putting it all together:
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
- In a casserole dish or a 9X13 Pyrex dish place the pasta/ noodles as the base layer of the casserole.
- Put the tuna fish on top of the pasta layer.
- Put mashed potatoes as the next layer.
- Sprinkle generous amounts of cheese to top of the casserole.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese melts and the casserole is heated through.
- Serve immediately.