Besan ka puda is essentially a very thin, chick pea flour pancake. It’s not sweet like a traditional pancake but is a really yummy breakfast food. It is one of my kids favorite breakfasts when they are visiting their grandparents in India. This is a very typical food in Punjabi homes and can be eaten with spicy pickles, any kind of chutneys or even ketchup.
2 cups chick pea flour
One onion finely chopped
1/2 – 3/4 cup water ( the batter should be not too thick)
¾ teaspoon coriander powder
½ cup cilantro finely chopped
½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
Salt & chili powder to taste
- Combine the above ingredients and mix to make a thick batter.
- On a flat pan heat ½ t of oil.
- Pour half a ladle of batter on to the pan.
- Gently flatten and thin out the batter with the bottom of the ladle using a round circular motion.
- Cook the puda for about a 2 minutes till the underside gets a few dark brown spots on it.
- Then flip it over and cook for another minute or so till the desired crispness is reached.
- Serve immediately with any of your favorite chutneys or ketchup.