This is such a healthy & delicious dish that I learned at Chiva – Som. I love anything with glass noodles and this dish has the perfect combination of health and flavor. At Chiva-Som they do not use oil to cook with (they use vegetable stock instead) but they do use sesame oil to flavor this dish. You can choose to use a little oil if you would like to. If not , here is the recipe for the vegetable stock they make. You could even use a good quality , organic broth instead.
3 cups of glass noodles (soaked in water for 10 minutes)
5 mushrooms sliced (shitake or any mushroom you prefer)
½ cup sliced firm tofu
¼ cup shredded carrots
½ cup shredded cabbage
½ plum tomato deseeded and diced
½ shallot or red onion sliced
¼ cup vegetable stock
½ teaspoon dark soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1 stalk chopped Chinese celery (or half stalk regular green celery)
- In a wok add a tablespoon of the vegetable broth and stir fry the onion over low-medium heat.
- Gradually add vegetable broth a teaspoon at a time, as needed as the onion browns.
- Once the onion is golden brown, add shitake mushroom, carrot and cabbage.
- Stir and add more vegetable broth if needed.
- Add the glass noodles and tofu and stir well.
- Add the sesame oil, dark soy sauce and remaining vegetable broth.
- Sprinkle with diced tomatoes and celery and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with black and white roasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Serve hot.
Nutritional info per serving:
Calories: 229.6 kcal
Protein: 5.2 g
Fat: 7.4 g