I am a huge fan of bittersweet chocolate and this cake just hit the spot for me. I found this recipe by Lori Longbotham on bonappetit.com. I was thrilled with the recipe , as was everyone who tried it! I’m gonna be making this one many more times! This one is for my favorite chocolate cake fans – Atul, Tina, Vikram & Malvika!!
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup sugar
- 1 12-inch round cake pan with 2-inch-high sides
- You can even use 2 regular round pans and make two cakes and stack them one on top of each other with a layer of ganache between.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 12-inch round cake pan with 2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray.
- Line bottom of pan with parchment paper round. (optional)
- Spray parchment paper with nonstick spray.
- Dust pan with flour, tapping out any excess.
- Sift 2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Sift cocoa into another medium bowl.
- Pour 1 cup boiling water over cocoa; whisk to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in large bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add butter to egg mixture and beat until blended.
- Beat in cocoa mixture.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla; beat to blend.
- Add dry ingredients and beat on low just to blend.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 38 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan on rack.
- Cake can be made 1 day ahead.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature.
- Place chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla in medium bowl.
- Bring cream and sugar to boil in medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Carefully pour hot cream mixture into bowl with chocolate.
- Let stand 1 minute.
- Whisk until melted and smooth.
- Chill ganache until thickened and spreadable, about 1 hour.
Putting together the Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache Cake:
- Carefully invert cake onto large cake plate.
- Gently remove parchment paper ( if used).
- Spread ganache over top and sides of cake and allow ganache to set, about 1 hour.
- If you made 2 round cakes instead then stack the two cakes one on top of the other with a layer of the ganache in between and then spread ganache all over the cake.
- Dust with confectioners sugar.
DO AHEAD: Cake can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome and refrigerate.