Maggi makes the most unbelievable West Indian food. She is from Trinidad and I have to say that her Trini food trumps all!!! A lot of the dishes she makes crosses over with Indian food but with a great twist. Her Aloo Pie (Potato Pie) is one of my favorites . It reminds me of a flattened out samosa. It can be eaten with any chutney – I love it with Kuchela (mango spicy chutney) and hot pepper sauce made with scotch bonnets. You can buy both Kuchela and Pepper Sauce in any West Indian grocery – try the brand Matouks.
1 onion chopped finely
8 cloves of garlic chopped finely
2 teaspoons ground cumin powder
1 scotch bonnet ( or any chili pepper – you can even skip this if you dont like spice)
10 small potatoes
- Heat oil.
- Add onions, garlic and chopped scotch bonnet.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add potatoes.
- Add salt.
- Cover and cook till done.
- Add 2 teaspoons of ground cumin powder.
- Mix well.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Set aside till cool.
Dough (Pie part)
5 1/2 cups of flour
2 tablspoons of butter
2 tablspoons of vegetable shortening (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of baking powder
3 cups of water ( more if needed)
- Mix the butter, crisco, flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Mix it really well till the butter and flour make a grainy mixture.
- Begin kneading the dough whilst adding water bit by bit.
- You can knead the dough by hand or use a food processor with a dough blade.
- Genlty knead the dough till done.
- It should look like the picutre below when done.
- Sprinkle the dough with some flour, cover with a kitchen towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Putting together the Aloo Pie
- Break the dough into several 2 inch dough balls.
- Sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Flatten each dough ball into a 4″ disc of about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Place a little of the aloo mixture in each of the flattened dough.
- Begin to close the disc around the aloo as shown in the picture below.
- Pinch the top closed till it looks like a dumpling.
- Dust with flour and begin to gently flatten it out till it looks as shown below.
- Do this with all the dough balls and set aside.
Frying the Aloo Pie
- Heat 4-5 cups of oil in a wok.
- When the oil is hot, gently add two uncooked aloo pies.
- Deep fry.
- Flip it over once or twice and till it reaches a golden brown color.
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl with paper towels.
- Repeat for all uncooked aloo pies.
- Serve hot with kuchela or hot pepper sauce.