Lotus stem is a true culinary delight. I love the dishes my mother -in-law, Atsuko, makes with it. This is a really simple, healthy salad that we all love.
2 fresh lotus stems
5-6 pieces of Osaki brand fish cake (optional)
3-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoons of sugar (or to taste)
4-5 tablespoons of vinegar
- Wash the lotus stems and peel the skin off.
- Soak the peeled lotus stems in water and add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to it.
- Let it soak for 10 minutes or so.
- Take lotus stems out and chop them into thin slices as shown below and soak them for a few more minutes in the vinegary water.
- Drain the water and set aside.
- In a separate pot, bring 3 quarts of water to boil.
- Add the chopped and drained lotus stems to the boiling water.
- Boil for about a minute and drain and cool with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Put the cooled lotus stems in a bowl.
- Add the chopped fish cake(optional).
- Add the mayonnaise and sugar and mix it very well.
- Serve chilled.