Cheese toasts, in India, is a wildly popular breakfast and snack item. There are so many different kinds – one of my favorites is the Chili Cheese Toast which is loaded up with fiery little green chillies (I’ll save that for another post). For me, this is my go-to dish for breakfast especially when I have guests staying over. Cheese toasts are so easy to put together and they always look and taste so good.
6 pieces of bread toasted (you can use any kind of bread regular, italian, french)
2 cups of shredded cheese (you can use any cheese – I use a mexican blend but plain old Amul cheese grated works fine too)
2 small plum tomatoes
1 small onion or 4 stalks of spring onions
1/8 cup milk
1/2 cup of cilantro
Salt & pepper to taste
- Finely chop the onions/spring onions, tomatoes & cilantro.
- Mix the chopped ingredients with the shredded cheese.
- Add salt, pepper and milk and mix it till its very well combined.
- Toast a few slices of bread in a toaster.
- Put some of the cheese mixture on top of the pre-toasted bread.
- Spread it well to cover the entire surface of the slice.
- Place it in a toaster oven and toast it lightly for about a minute or two till the cheese melts.
- Serve with ketchup or Maggi Hot and Sweet Tomato Chili Sauce (this is available in any Indian grocery store and goes so well with cheese toasts)