This is one of my favorite – do it yourself- appetizers to serve. It is so easy and yummy. Use a good quality French or Italian loaf as a base. I usually don’t grill or toast the bread but in a happy accident my friend Oz (the culinary queen of Queens) toasted the bread on the grill the last time I served this. I found that this added an amazing crispy crunch to the bread and makes the stack so much tastier.You can add some other foods such as smoked salmon, sliced onions, thinly sliced ham and so on to go with the basic Tomato, Mozzarella and Avocado Stacks.
2 ripe tomatoes sliced
One ripe avocado sliced
Sliced Mozzarella cheese cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 loaf of good quality French or Italian bread sliced into thin slices
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (I use the Fairway brand – Balsamic Vinegar of Modena)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon of sugar
- Grill or toast slightly the sliced bread.
- Place a slice of mozzarella on the bread.
- Add a slice of tomato and some avocado on top.
- Place a basil leaf on top.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and sugar whisk it very well till it is well combined.
- Pour 1/2 a teaspoon of the dressing on top of the tomato, mozzarella and avocado stack.