Gobhi (cauliflower) is one of the most common, everyday dishes in any Indian home. There are so many different ways of making it. Here one of the ways we make it in our house.
You can add potatoes to this dish to make the classic gobhi aloo (cauliflower and potatoes). I personally prefer it without the potato.
Here is the way my Maya used to make it. She was the one of the most phenomenal cooks ever and was the one who introduced me to the world of cooking. Here is a link to a quick cauliflower (gobhi) quesadilla. Its just one of the ways that I make this dish last for a few more days!!
One head of cauliflower cut into small florets
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 green or pepper ( capsicum) cut into small pieces
1 bunch finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander powder
3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon chili (cayenne) powder (optional)
Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil till hot.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and cook for about a minute till the seeds are sizzling.
- Add the chopped onions and peppers and stir for about a minute.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric, chili powder and salt and mix it well.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add in the cauliflower florets.
- Mix it very well till the cauliflower is well coated with the spices.
- Add about 5 tablespoons of water to the mixture.
- Add salt to taste.
- Stir the cauliflower very gently.
- Cover the cauliflower and let it cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.