I was caking and baking all of last weekend but the end result was great! My daughter chose Strawberry Shortcake as the theme for her 8th birthday . It was a berry cute theme and I went a little Berry crazy!!! Here is the cake I made for her.
1 cake made from a Wilton 14 inch round cake pan
1 cake made from a Wilton 9 x 3 in. decorator preferred contour pan
5 cups of pink frosting
2 packets of strawberry gummy candy or you could even use real strawberries sliced into halves
2 or 3 inch striped ribbon that match the strawberry shortcake characters colors – you could use your crativity and substitute this for anything ( I found the ribbon at Michaels Art & Crafts)
Strawberry shortcake character cake topper/ any doll etc (use your creative license)
Little strawberry shortcake dolls to decorate the cake board with.
Candles for cake
- Place the 14″ round cake on a cake board (I used a giant white cutting board).
- Frost the 14″ round cake with pink frosting(This will form the hat brim).
- Then frost the 9″ round contoured cake with the pink frosting (This will form the top of the hat)
- Place the 9″ round cake on top of the 14″ cake.
- Make sure you center the 9″ cake while placing it.
- Cut out the ribbon so it can wrap around the 9″ cake.
- Place the ribbon at the bottom of the 9″ cake so it goes around.
- Cut another piece of ribbon and make a nice bow for the front of the hat.
- Place the bow in the front of the hat cake.
- Place the Strawberry Shortcake cake topper or doll on top of the hat – make sure you center it.
- Place the gummy strawberry candies all around the flat edge on the top of the hat.
- Then place the remaining gummy strawberries on the bottom sides on the Brim part of the cake.
- Place one strawberry in the middle of the bow.
- Then stick your candles onto the top part of the cake (anyway you like).
- Using little dollops of white, pink and red frosting, stick the little Strawberry Shortcake characters all around the cake board.
Here are some additional cakes I made
Here are some of the berrylicious foods I served: