Here is a really great pilaf recipe. In Turkey this dish is called Cerkez Pilav. This dish could be eaten by itself or could be served with a host of dishes such as curries, kababs, cutlets-the possibilities are endless. I used Basmati rice to make this Pilaf and cooked most of it in the rice cooker just to make it easier. You can do it all in a pot on the stovetop too.
Pilaf with Cilantro And Pine Nuts
1 cup Basmati rice
1 medium onion finely chopped
2 scallions chopped
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (you can put more or less according to taste)
Salt & pepper to taste
2 1/2 cups of water or vegetable/chicken stock heated to boiling point
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In large pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook for about 10 minutes till the onions are golden brown.
- Add the washed Basmati rice and mix it well with the onion.
- Add salt and pepper.
- At this point you could tranfer the rice mixture to a rice cooker or continue to cook on the stovetop.
- Add boiling stock to rice and mix it well.
- Cover and cook until rice fluffy – about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the rice stand for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan add 2 teaspoons of oil and saute the chopped scallions for about a minute till they turn translucent.
- Transfer the rice to a serving dish and fluff it with a fork.
- Mix in the scallions and cilantro with the rice.
- Sprinkle toasted pine nuts on top and serve warm.
- Serve warm.