Its a buggy bug world and my daughter wanted a bug themed party for her 4th birthday. Here is the cake that I made for her. This cake is so cute and really simple to make. I got the idea from an issue on Kids Parties brought out by Family Circle magazine.
2 round cakes 8-9 inches ( use your favorite recipe)
3 cups of red frosting
1 cup green frosting
1/4 cup black frosting
Decorative sugar flowers (or even fake plastic flowers will work)
Black and red candles
- Place the two round cakes one on top of the other and put any filling you choose between them (jam, whipped cream, chocolate frosting, regular frosting and so on)
- Frost the entire cake red leaving about 1 1/2 inches unfrosted at the bottom of the cake.
- Frost the bottom 1 1/2 inches with the green frosting and use a toothpick to make uneven markings(lines) on the green frosting that make it look like reeds of grass.
- Stick the sugar flowers all around the cake on the “grass” part.
- Using the black frosting and a thin tipped pastry bag, mark out the “face” of the ladybug in the front half of the cake.
- Then with the same frosting bag, divide the “body” of the ladybug into two equal halves.
- Place the chocolate M&Ms on both sides of the body of the ladybug.
- Use 2 yellow M&Ms to make eyes for the ladybug.
- Then with the black frosting bag, pipe on eyeballs, eyebrows and a smile on the ladybugs face.
- Stick your candles in and Happy Buggy Birthday!
Here are some other ideas I had for the bug party:
- I served all kinds of bug themed foods
- I put name tags with bug stickers for all the foods
- I gave live ladybugs in little transparent bug jars as party favors – you can order these over the net.