A Base recipe for Curry
2-3 tablespoons of oil
2 medium onions finely chopped
3-4 small plum tomatoes pureed (or 5 tablespoons of tomato paste)
6-7 cloves of garlic (grind)
1 inch of ginger (grind)
2 teaspoons of coriander powder
3/4 teaspoons of turmeric powder
Cayenne chili pepper powder to taste
1/2 teaspoon of garam masala (optional)
- Heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste.
- Stir this for a minute till it becomes fragrant.
- Add the chopped onions.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Brown the onions taking care that they do not begin to burn.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder and cayenne pepper.
- Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Grind this mixture and use as needed or store away in fridge.
You can use this recipe for a basic curry for so many dishes. What I do do is that I double or quadruple the recipe and keep it in a jar in the refrigerator. I then keep using it as a base for many different recipes. Surprisingly this keep really well in the fridge, even for a few months. Do make sure that if you are going to make a big batch, that you add a little extra oil to the curry base. That way it will keep longer.