Who doesn’t love good crab cakes?
Crab cakes are surprisingly easy to make. I buy the cans of lump crabmeat (usually from Costco). You have to be careful to handle the crabmeat gently as it can shred easily and the delicacy of a crab cake really is in preserving the “lumps”. Here is one of the ways I make crab cakes.
1 can of lump crab meat ( 16 oz)
3/4 cup bread crumbs (I use panko but any will do)
1 eggs beaten
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon old bay seasoning/ Emeril’s Original Essence (or any seafood seasoning you like)
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of fine bread crumbs for coating
- Gently mix crab meat, 3/4 cup of bread crumbs, eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, seasoning, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Shape them into patties.
- Coat the crab cakes with the fine bread crumbs.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and add the crab cakes in batches of 3-4.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip over gently.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes till it is cooked through.
- Serve immediately on a bed of salad greens with horseradish sauce (I love Boars Head).