I think that there is no better combination than Salmon and miso! Here is a recipe thats easy to make but looks and tastes very gourmet!! All the ingredients should be available at your local Asian store ( Try H-Mart, if you live in the Queens or Long Island area)
Salmon with Miso
Fresh salmon cut into fillets – 7-8 small fillets ( I usually ask them to take the skin off but you don’t have to)
3 tablespoons of Miso paste
1/4 cup mirin
2-3 tablespoons sake ( Japanese Rice Wine – buy the cheapest drinking sake you can find – thats good enough for cooking)
2-3 cloves fresh garlic minced
2 tablespoons of sugar
- Mix the miso, mirin, sake, garlic and sugar very well.
- Marinate the salmon with this paste for 20 minutes or so. (You can leave it for longer too but it is not required.)
- Heat a frying pan with 1 teaspoon of oil ( salmon gives off a lot of its own oil so you need just a little to start off with)
- Add the marinated salmon to the heated pan.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for a 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the fish over carefully and cook for 2-3 minutes more till it is cooked through.
- I like it when the fish browns up just a little bit before taking it off the fire.
- Serve immediately with spinach rice and any vegetables of your choice.
If you want more sauce, you can double the marinade recipe . After you have cooked the fish you can add the leftover marinade to the pan and cook it for 2-3 minutes and then pour it over the fish.