I love good kathi rolls! A kathi roll is a street food in India where one takes a paratha (flat bread) and tops it with egg. It is then filled with a spicy filling of either kababs or different kinds of vegetables. Spices, red onion slivers and lime are generally sprinkled on top.
According to Wikipedia, the kathi roll was started in Kolkata (which has some of the best street food). It was the result of some quick thinking on a busy day, when the number of customers purchasing kababs and parathas outstripped the rate at which plates could be washed, so the chef decided to wrap some of the kababs in parathas rather than serve them on plates.
I make a really quick version where I cut down prep time by buying the kababs. You could either buy regular chicken tikkas or seekh kababs and chop them up. In this particualr recipe, I used chicken seekh kababs.
If you live in the NY area you can get these from any local Indian restaurant. I usually get mine from Al-Mehran or Kabab King in Queens. For a veggie version you can stuff the Kati rolls with “Spicy Malini Potatoes”.
12 chicken seekh kababs
5-6 green chilli peppers chopped (optional)
2 large onions thinely sliced
1/2 bunch of chopped fresh cilantro
5-6 tablespoons of vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil.
- Add sliced onions.
- Saute for about 5-7 minutes till onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped green chilies and saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped kababs and mix it well with the onions.
- Cook for about 2 minutes till chicken is heated through.
- Add vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and cook for a minute more.
10 readymade wheat or flour tortillas or rotis
6-7 eggs beaten very well with a little salt added ( it must be very fluffy)
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil.
- Put a roti (tortilla) in the pan and let it heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add about 3 tablespoons of the well beaten egg on top of the roti.
- Flip the roti over using metal tongs.
- Let the egg cook ( about 45 seconds)
- Flip the roti back over and remove from fire.
To assemble the Kathi roll follow the following steps:
- Place some of the chicken filling in the egg paratha
- Roll the paratha with the filling as shown.
- Serve whole or can cut into two halves.
- Serve with any chutney of your choice.