I know that just the mention of sweet potatoes might make some of your stomachs turn! I used to be that way too but then I discovered this amazing way of cooking them. I prefer the sweet potatoes that have the orange flesh versus the ones with white flesh.
You will be surprised at how much kids love these fries. I make a tray full and it is gone in minutes and the best part is that they are baked not fried. I actually cut a whole bunch of fries and keep them in my fridge for a week or so and keep making them every few days.
These fries pack in all thats good for you like dietary fiber, naturally occurring sugars and complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron and calcium.
Sweet Potato Fries
2-3 sweet potatoes
4 tablespoons of olive oil
salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Wash, peel and chop the sweet potatoes into fries
- In a ziploc bag or a bowl combine the cut fries with olive oil and salt
- Mix it well
- On a cookie sheet, lay out the fries in a single layer
- Bake the fries for 25 – 30 minutes or so till they become soft. You will see little brown spots forming on the fries as they are getting done.
- Sprinkle some paprika or cayenne pepper on top (optional)
- Eat immediately
These fries are not crunchy and crispy like potato fries but can become so if you bake them a little longer. The real flavor of the sweet potato though is in its soft flesh so you don’t want to over bake them. If you find the fries are turning black- take them out of the oven immediately.