Oriental Lettuce Wrap also know as Chicken/ vegetable Soong is a really yummy dish that can be served both as an appetizer or a main dish. You can make either a chicken or tofu version. For the tofu version use a hard tofu such as smoked tofu or the extra firm tofu.
8 dried shiitake mushrooms – these have great flavor but you can substitute with regular mushrooms too
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp dry sherry ( can use white wine instead)
2 tsp water
salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken ( Chop it into really tiny pieces – I use a food processor to do it)
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, minced
2 small dried chilis, (optional)
8 oz can bamboo shoots, minced (optional – I hate them so don’t use them but you can)
8 oz can water chestnuts, minced
2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp dry sherry
4 Tbsp oyster sauce
4 Tbsp water
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. sugar or to taste
2 tsp. Cornstarch
- Iceberg lettuce – wash and break into little cup shapes – they naturally are that way
- Cover mushrooms with boiling water, let stand 30 minutes then drain.
- Cut and discard woody stems.
- Minces mushrooms. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients for cooking sauce in bowl, and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine cornstarch, sherry water, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and chicken.
- Stir to coat chicken thoroughly.
- Stir in 1 tsp. oil and let sit 15 minutes to marinate.
- Heat wok or large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add little oil, then add chicken and stir fry for about 3-4 minutes till almost cooked.
- Set aside.
- Add a little oil to pan.
- Add ginger, garlic, chilies(if desired), and onion; stir fry about a minute or so.
- Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and tofu ( for veggie version)
- Stir fry an additional 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Add mixed cooking sauce to pan.
- Cook until thickened and hot.
- I usually sprinkle some pine-nuts on top
- Spoon into lettuce leaf and enjoy.
I love everything spicy so when I roll these up, I put a little bit of hoisin sauce in the lettuce cup and some chili oil and then add the chicken mixture and roll it up.