These are the gorgeous gifts I get in my weekly fall organic veggie box from my farmer at my local CSA.
Here is an unexpectedly simple way of cooking scallions, which is super delicious and really healthy.
Steamed Scallions with Miso Paste
1 bunch of scallions, washed and entire stalk chopped in one-inch segments
1 tsp white miso paste
3 tsp mirin (sweet sake)
1 tbsp water
½ tsp sugar
• Boil a small saucepan with about 3 cups of water.
• Drop the chopped scallions in the boiling water for about 1 minute.
• Remove scallions from water and plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process.
To Make the Sauce
• Mix the miso paste, mirin, water and sugar in a small pan.
• Heat this mixture and mix it well together.
• Cook for about 2 minutes and remove from fire.
• Combine about 2 tablespoons of the sauce with the steamed scallions and serve warm or cold.