This is a great recipe that makes a really quick and tasty chicken curry.
Somehow the chicken curry I make in U.S. never tastes as good as it does when made in India. I guess the ingredients are just different. Try to use smaller sized onions and tomatoes rather than the big ones available in the supermarket.
1 whole chicken chopped into small pieces or 2 lbs. chicken thighs, cubed
2 small red onions or 3-4 shallots
3 plum tomatoes
6-7 pods garlic
1 inch ginger
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
2 teaspoons of coriander powder (dhaniya)
¾ teaspoons turmeric (haldi)
Red chili powder to taste
½ cup chopped cilantro
- Grind together the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger and set aside.
- Heat oil and add 1 tsp. cumin seeds.
- When seeds begin to pop, add the ground mixture.
- Mix well, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tsp. coriander powder, ¾ tsp. turmeric, red chili powder and salt.
- Mix and cook well for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped chicken.
- Cover and cook for 20- 25 minutes till the chicken is well cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with Basmati rice.